Live your dreams...

I was talking to a young dude today, trying his best to "make it" in the industry. He started telling me how his family didn't support his dreams. How his girl doesn't "see" a future in him. How hard it's been to make it to where he's at and how disappointing it is that he hasn't gotten further. He then ask me the question I get the most often,
"how did you make it?"

I sometimes talk to high school students, I've been on music industry panels, and this is one of the most asked questions at parties and by strangers. I told him like I tell anyone, a dream is just a dream until you fulfill it. Meaning, you can't bank on a dream. You can't give up tangible things like paying bills, eating, being able to take care of yourself/family for a dream. It is ideal to live the life you've always wanted, always dreamed of, and have put your heart and soul into. I'm not saying give up your dreams, I'm saying realize until it's fulfilled you cannot live on a dream alone. How did I make it?

My entire life has been about music. I've played multiple instruments since childhood (self taught). I had the boom box, memorex tapes, microphone set up for as long as i can remember. I was in the state's junior symphony, was everyone's in my neighborhood favorite dj/mixtape maker, and will make up a song out of any and everything. Music has always been my life, my love...my dream. When I graduated high school I wanted to major in something to do with music. My parents a doctor and lawyer swiftly told me my "hobby" wasn't a suitable choice as a major. I was pressured by them to major in engineering, which honestly was the best thing they could have done for me. Yes, that disappointing stepping stone allowed me to be able to reach my dream. What it did was give me a way to finance my dream. A way to still eat and live my dream. A way to establish a life, buy a house, pay off debts, live a nice life where I didn't have to struggle. I graduated college making over 70k a year and was able to buy equipment, able to pay for studio time, able to work on my art on my time. I understand it doesn't work that way for everyone but having a plan is the difference between you making it and spending years trying to accomplish the same shit with nothing.

I believe that our parents (namely parents of my generation) sacrificed and gave up a lot of dreams to afford us the ability to squander their hard work away. Back in the day parents taught you to do something with your life. Go to college, get an education, work hard even if it's not something you want to do.."you have to do what you got to do, until you can do what you want to do". Too many times you hear celebrities say..."don't let anyone tell you what you can't do...live your dreams". Most of those celebrities don't tell you that the chances of you becoming a Beyoncé, Rihanna, or Chris Brown is the same as you becoming Lebron, Kobe or Michael Jordan. They are right "live your dreams, don't let no one tell you what you can't do.." but be realistic in the meanwhile.

Did my parents support me doing music full time? hell no..even when I sold my first song, signed my first production deal..they were shaking their head in disapproval. I saved up my money, never had to ask them for a dime. I took care of my responsibilities and I was able to prove to them that I could make a living, a very good living doing this. You want your family to support you? Show them that you're gonna be able to live off of this. You want a woman to see your potential, show her that she can count on you if this doesn't work. I'd work at McDonald's if that would keep my family from being hungry. Don't let your grind/hustle allow yourself and family to struggle. Yes it my be harder if you're not constantly on your grind, but if that's the life you want don't involve other people.

I've made a great living, love what I do, and am extremely thankful for all of the opportunities I've had, but I didn't foolishly dive into this life. I don't preach foolishness to anyone, you want to make it work hard and take care of yourself. The young dude, thanked me and said he needed to hear that. He then proceeded to ask me for a free track...
-genius

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manfive #100

Come get these....L's